North Shore

North Shore
View of Llandudno from The Little Orme

Tuesday 18 October 2011

Bumper year for apples


We have a lovely old apple tree in the back garden. Last year we had about 12 apples but this year the tree was absolutely laden. I was convinced most of the apples wouldn't make it to maturity but they did. At first we didn't know what to do with all  the windfallen and bird pecked apples so initially I was putting them in the food recycling bin but thought it would be so much better if they could get fed to local pigs. I always remember my dad saying how the pigs were sent in to the orchard to eat the fallen apples and that the resulting bacon had a fine flavour! In the end we found a willing eater........ my hairdresser's horse. We sent bags and bags over. I think they'll be getting withdrawl symptoms now as the last of the apples have now been picked. Apparently they used to queue up to be fed.
I'm not sure what kind of apples they are but they are certainly very tasty. I've made some lovely apple crumbles with them, just adding a small amount of honey. I spent a whole evening peeling, chopping and and stewing so we have a good supply of crumble base in the freezer. This coming weekend is the Conwy Feast, one of the biggest food festivals in Wales and there is usually an apple tent, so I might well take an apple to be identified. It's well worth checking out this festival http://www.conwyfeast.co.uk/  Hopefully I will get there so I'll add some more info and photos

No comments:

Post a Comment