North Shore

North Shore
View of Llandudno from The Little Orme

Sunday 9 October 2011

A visit to the dentist..........spectacular views en route.


On Wednesday I had an appointment at the dentist.....this isn't my favourite pastime but I have to say that the walk there is fabulous and I wanted to share some of the views. The weather, fortunately had reverted to being warm although very blustery so I was able to put shorts back on (probably for the last time this year!!)

 
7 minutes walk from Lymehurst B&B and this is the view from West Shore across to the mountains



 
The coastal foot / cycle path starts here and you can walk all the way to Conwy with it's  impressive castle and walled town
 The beach en route to Deganwy where the dental surgery is situated.



 As I rounded a bend in the river I spotted three small boats bobbing around. These are the mussel men from Conwy out raking the mussel beds to collect the  famous Conwy Mussels. There are now only 6 regular mussel men and they use the very traditional method of collecting the mussels. It looks really tough work as they basically use really long wide rakes to rake up the mussels from the mussel beds. When Michael Portilo visited the area while making a TV programme, he went out with them and discovered just how strenuous it is!!.
Conwy mussel man using long rake to rake up mussels





This photo gives more idea of the amazing surroundings they work in. Conwy Mountain is in the background.


This is the view looking towards the  mouth of the estuary. It is not every day you can see such a sight as  mussels being harvested in such a traditional way, which probably has not changed in centuries.


Good job I'd left myself plenty of time to get to Deganwy as I'd got so distracted with photographing the Mussel Men. This view from the beach is of the main street with the Vardra in the background and the level crossing  and station signal box in the centre. Deganwy Station has to be in one of the most picturesque settings.
Looking back , a view towards Deganwy Marina
I survived the dentist having nothing more than a clean and polish (the best kind of visit!!!) So then it was just to make my way home.


Heading towards West Shore with the impressive Great Orme  dominating the sky line. So can anybody beat that as a route to the dentist's??

No comments:

Post a Comment